For the 2016 season and until amended:
The organising club for each race will be completely responsible for planning and risk-assessing the course, providing marshals and applying for a race permit.
Chip timing will be provided by Evensplits race timing and management services. (Martin Browne and Lynn Taylor) The organising club will not be required to assist with timing or recording finishers this year. Just direct the runners to the finishing line!
Could you however provide a couple of people to help set up the finish area before the race starts. There will be no finishing tunnel as such but stakes and tape to guide runners over the recording mats and to keep others away.
IMPORTANT. If the start is not within clear sight/ sound of the finish area (so that the clock can be started on the gun) you must designate one person to set up telephone contact with Martin / Lynn before the start so that the clock can be started accurately.
For the handicap a minimum team of two starters will be needed.
First Aid cover will be provided by the League.
This list represents actions and considerations to be undertaken by a club organising a League event, but it is not an exhaustive list since each club will have to consider any additional local requirements.
- obtain a Race Permit/Licence well in advance of the race: the procedures are the same as for any other road race – link: Race Directors Portal
- note there is no need for the courses to be measured: it saves some administration if the course is advertised as “approximately 5 miles”, say
- course lengths should be 5 miles or so: NB races longer than 10km must have refreshment stations on the course and additional first aid cover so you are advised to keep below this
- note you must provide a water station at the finish. It is intended that the League will buy and supply bottled water for each race.
- contact relevant local police and council authorities to obtain their consent
- provide the League’s web site administrators Nathan Smith and Dave Seaman with race details e.g. directions, any changing and parking arrangements, approximate course length, terrain and profile and if possible a map in the form of a pdf or Word document to enable details to be published on the League web site well in advance of your race. (If you don’t have our personal email addresses you can use the contact address on this web site.)
- confirm and book relevant facilities for changing, parking, toilets and catering etc.
- consider local requirements for the race in advance in regard to marshals, placing and collection of caution runner boards, catering, medical support etc and allocate responsibility to named people
- display the race licence openly at the race
- Costs of organising the event will be refunded to the club by the league treasurer at the end of the season as part of the annual settlement. In recent years costs incurred for catering etc have been refunded with a limit set at £600 plus the licence fee but if the club unavoidably incurs additional reasonable costs in staging the race these will be refunded on receipt of an itemised statement.